Sparq Next Gen

Vision Critical

Darian Grant


  • Company: Vision Critical
  • Role: User Experience Designer
  • Platform(s): Web/Mobile


Vision Critical is a SaaS company to help provide real, honest customer feedback to improve Marketing, Customer Experience and Product Development for your business.

My main task was to work with a team of designers and completely redesign the existing product to meet and exceed industry standards.

View the official website at

More about Vision Critical

Vision Critical has been around for about 15 years and creates a platform that they sell as a service to companies who are looking to get feedback from their customers. Here you can see a video on how the company and platform work, as well as a testimonial from one of their largest customers, Boston Pizza.

See how it works on their official website here:

Their Old Product (Sparq)

Their original platform was called Sparq, which has grown over the last 15 years to meet specific needs of specific companies for very specific tasks, and was never redesigned. This led to a program that ensured current customer satisfaction, but also led to a difficult onboarding experience for any new clients as the program was very complex and the design looked completely outdated.

My Tasks For SNG

My main task for Sparq Next Gen (SNG) was to work with a team of about 7 UX Designers to completely redesign the platform to make it easier and more intuitive for new clients to use. This involved taking extremely complex scenarios and breaking them down into new, more intuitive interactions and flows, sometimes even cutting features along the way.

The company was divided into several smaller dev teams, and the Product Manager and I were in charge of leading the largest team. Each UX Designer had their own team and we would meet several times a week to update each other, set standards for consistency, ensure everyone is on the same page, and coordinate cross-team features.

The Condition Builder

The condition builder was an extremely crucial and necessary update to the new platform as it allowed our users to find the perfect customers to collect data from. It was extremely convoluted to use (and flat out ugly) in the original version, and I was in charge of updating it.

For the MVP, I had to cut certain options for it, as they were barely being used and were adding more confusion to the system, so I tackled the main uses of it first, which I analyzed from our user data.

Here you can see the original and final version of it, the inVision Prototype for some of the functionality, and the design document which includes the responsive design as well.

Profile Variables

Profile Variables are all of the bits of information our users could collect from their customers and use as filters in order to target the right ones.

Before I started, users could only choose from a set list of Profile Variables to collect information. My job was to add functionality to the existing version of this, such as creating a new Profile Variable, editing them, removing them, adding empty states in the UI and addressing all of the edge cases that came with these features.

I tested all of my designs using prototypes built in sketch and inVision. I also wrote up functionality documents for all major updates to this feature. Here you can see the early stages of the Profile Variables feature, as well as the prototype and the main design document.

Smaller Tasks

On top of those larger tasks, I was also working on dozens of smaller ones. Resources were often tight at Vision Critical, so I would sometimes redesign features in phases so we could get the big wins in quicker with less dev time, then work with the Project Manager to prioritize those phases for the dev team.

The Dashboard is a good example of that. It was an obnoxious, bare screen at first but I managed to increase satisfaction on it with a few tweaks pushed out over several iterations.

I also tackled these smaller tasks with proper documentation and prototype testing whenever there were creative arguments. This is when I would build inVision prototypes and test them out and present the feedback. Once approved by the stakeholders and UX team, I would then go through the proper documentation processes and share it with the dev team.

Simple things like allowing the user to easily set a future “close date” on an activity seems logical, but some stakeholders needed convincing that it was worth it.